Home insurance

Home insurance

Protect your home and the things you love with our Defaqto 5 Star rated cover

Start your quote Retrieve your quote

Why choose Ageas home insurance

We’ve made Ageas Extra Home Insurance easy. Easy to get a quote. Easy to make a claim. Plus, with our 5 Star rated cover given by industry experts, Defaqto, you can have peace of mind that you’ve got the protection you need.


Woman opening cardboard box at home

New for old

When we replace lost, stolen or damaged items with new ones, we will not make any deductions for wear and tear.


Pink bucket and sponge next to damage wall with visible pipes

Tracing Leaks

If a water or oil leak damages your building, we'll cover the cost of finding the source of the leak, as well as repairs to walls, floors and ceilings*.
Man and woman laughing surrounded by house painting materials

One excess per claim

You will only have to pay one excess^, even if you claim for both buildings and contents cover for the same event.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) - We're here to help

We're open for business in all the usual ways. Find out how we're helping customers at this time by visiting our Coronavirus hub.

Family in kitchen

Ageas Extra Home Insurance

  • We provide insurance to nearly 5 million motor, home, travel and business customers.
  • Contents insurance – We’ll cover your contents up to £75,000 as standard. If needed, that can be increased up to £100,000.
  • Buildings insurance - We cover the cost of rebuilding your home up to £1,000,000, so it's easy to make sure you have enough cover.
  • Rated excellent on Trustpilot - with over 8000 customer reviews.
  • No admin charges when you make a change to your policy online.


ServiceMark Accredited by the ICS

Excellent Customer Service

Recognised by the ICS for our excellent level of customer service.

Our types of cover

Whether you want combined cover or just need to protect your building or its contents, Ageas has got you covered

Icon of a purple house with a sofa inside

Buildings and contents cover

Find out more
Icon of a purple house

Buildings cover

Find out more
Icon of a purple sofa

Contents cover

Find out more


Our optional cover

If you want your home insurance to go even further, you can choose to add optional cover to your policy

Purple gavel icon

Legal expenses cover

Find out more
Purple home with exclamation mark icon

Home emergency cover

Find out more

Already insured with us?

View our policy document

Read our policy booklet to make sure our cover is right for you.


Frequently asked questions

About your policy

You can call us on 0345 165 0900 to make changes to your policy. We won't charge you a fee to make changes.

You can also see and download your policy documents on your online account. If you haven't registered for an online account yet, you can do so here.

Here's how to get in touch:

  • Use the Virtual Assistant on this page for help with your query.
  • Use our contact us form to send us a message anytime.
  • Give us a call on one of the telephone numbers you can can find on our contact us page

About home insurance

Home insurance is designed to help protect you in case of damage or loss caused by an insured event to a property you own, the contents of your home or both.

By paying a monthly or annual premium, you’ll be able to claim for the costs of repairing or replacing things in your home if something goes wrong, provided they're covered by the terms of your insurance policy.

What’s covered under a home insurance depends on the type of policy you have.

Buildings insurance covers the cost of repairing damage to the structure of your home caused by insured events, up to the cost of rebuilding the house from scratch. It includes things like:

  • Walls and roofs
  • Floors
  • Windows and doors
  • Permanent fixtures and fittings, like bathroom suites and kitchens
  • Some external structures, like garages and outbuildings.

Contents insurance covers the cost of repairing or replacing the contents in your home if they're damaged in an insured event. It usually includes:

  • Soft furnishings
  • Furniture
  • White goods
  • Electronic goods
  • Clothes
  • Money and jewellery (usually up to a certain value).

Most insurers provide cover for damage or loss caused by a number of perils, such as fire, vandalism, storm, flood, theft and subsidence.

You are also likely to be given the option to purchase a combined policy that covers both contents and buildings. They will also often offer some optional cover that you can add to a home insurance policy, including things like home emergency cover and legal expenses cover.

Before you take out home insurance, you’ll need to determine what level of cover you need.

You can then shop around for quotes online. When you start a quote, insurers will need you to provide some details about yourself, any other occupants in your home, the home itself and how you use it, in order to calculate if they can offer you a quote and at what price.

Once you have a policy in place, if you need to make a home insurance claim, you will need to get in touch with your insurer and provide as much information as possible about what happened. They will then process your claim and either arrange and pay for works or provide funds to repair your home or replace your possessions, provided you're covered for that type of damage or loss under your policy.

If you’re a homeowner, it’s a good idea to consider having both buildings and contents insurance, to ensure both your property and its contents are protected. It may also be a condition of your mortgage that you take out a buildings insurance policy.

Contents insurance is not a requirement, but it’s also worth considering it, whether you're a homeowner or a tenant. Contents cover can protect you in the event of damage or loss to the contents in your home, that's been caused by an insured peril. If you do decide to take out a policy, bear in mind that you will have to provide the insurer with the full replacement value of the contents of your home, if they were to be replaced as new.

If buildings insurance is a requirement as part of your mortgage agreement or you've decided to take out a policy anyway, you’ll want to ensure you have it in place for when the exchange of contracts happens. 

Contents insurance is not normally a requirement of your mortgage agreement and, if you decide to get it, it doesn’t need to kick in until you move your possessions into the home. However, you may find it's easier and cheaper to take out both buildings and contents cover together in one policy.

It’s never nice to think about, but unforeseen things can happen in your home, and it's important to be prepared.

If your home were to be affected by something like theft, fire or flooding, you could be left with a hefty bill to put things right. That's where insurance can help. By having home insurance cover in place, you get peace of mind knowing that these types of costs should largely be covered if something happens.

You can get a home insurance quote online either directly on an insurer’s website or through one of the available comparison websites. In either case, you should have as much information as possible to hand about yourself, your home and your belongings, as insurers will need it to determine whether they can offer you a quote and what the price of your premium will be.

If you would like to see how Ageas could help with your home insurance, take a look at our policy booklet or get a quote for our home insurance online today.

What is auto-renewal?

Consent to auto-renewal means you are giving us permission to renew your policy without you having to do anything other than check the information we hold for you remains correct.

When you give your consent to auto-renew your policy, Ageas will issue your renewal documents and inform you that the policy will auto-renew without any intervention from you. The consent will remain in force unless you change it or the policy is cancelled.

If you choose not to have auto-renewal, you will need to contact us at renewal to ensure you remain insured. You can change you auto-renew preference at anytime.

Auto-renew gives you peace of mind that your insurance will remain in place when it comes to your renewal.

When you give your consent to auto-renew your policy, Ageas will issue your renewal documents and inform you that the policy will auto-renew without any intervention from you. The consent will remain in force unless you change it, which you can do at anytime or if the policy is cancelled.

If you chose not to auto-renew your policy you will need to contact us to complete your renewal. If you don’t contact us then your policy will lapse and you will not be covered.

You can change your auto-renew consent at any time before your renewal by using your online portal or calling us. There is no charge for changing your mind.

If you choose not to have auto-renewal, you will need to contact us at renewal to ensure you remain insured.

Ways to pay for house insurance

'Pay in full' is the cheapest way to pay for your insurance.

Because you pay a single annual payment there is no interest to pay as there is with some other payment methods such as direct debit.
You can choose to auto-renew your policy if you pay in full.

Pay monthly to help manage your budget however it will cost you more than paying in full with a single annual payment.

You can choose to auto-renew your policy if you pay by Direct Debit.

**We will decide whether finding the source of the leak is the most practical and cost-effective solution.

^The excess to pay will be the highest policy excess that applies.

*12 months Motor Legal Expenses cover for just £5, after which it will revert to our standard price at that time. Our standard price is currently £29.60. This offer is only available to new customers, purchasing before 15th December 2021. We reserve the right to withdraw this offer at any time but will honour the price for quotes obtained before the date of withdrawal.