Van insurance

Why choose our van insurance?

We know it's important to keep you on the road with peace of mind. That's why we work hard to make van insurance easy. Easy to manage your policy. Easy to make a claim.

A car has crashed into a van
Uninsured driver promise*

If your van is hit by an uninsured driver your excess will be reimbursed and your no claims discount reinstated

A lady in a white van
Courtesy van provided as standard**

We provide a courtesy van for up to 7 days while yours is being repaired by our approved repairer, if you choose our comprehensive cover

White van parked on a road
Up to £500 replacement locks cover

Under our comprehensive insurance, we cover the replacement of your van's locks up to £500 if your keys are lost or stolen

ServiceMark Accredited by the ICS

Excellent Customer Service

Recognised by the ICS for our excellent level of customer service.

Van on motorway

Why choose us?

  • We protect over 3 million
    Motor, home, travel, pet & business customers.
  • Defaqto 4 Star Rated^^
    Comprehensive cover for that extra peace of mind.
  • Trustpilot
    We have over 15,000 customer reviews.
  • Manage your policy online
    Access your policy 24/7.
  • 24/7 UK emergency claims helpline
    Our customers can make a claim online at any time, day or night.
Get in touch

Supporting all customers

Life can bring challenges, and we understand this can look different for all our customers. We’re committed to working in a way that supports your individual needs and circumstances.

If you’re experiencing financial difficulties, are facing a challenging life event or need help with the way that we communicate with you, we’d like to help.

online account image

It's quick and easy online


  • Make a payment
  • Renew your policy
  • View and download your policy documents
van on a motorway

Our levels of cover

We offer two levels of cover to help suit your needs: 

  • Comprehensive cover - it covers damage to your own van, as well as damage to another driver's vehicle. You will also be covered for injuries to a another road user and in the even of fire or theft.
  • Third party, fire and theft cover - it covers you for damage to another driver's vehicle, injuries to another road user and in the event of fire or theft.
British Insurance Awards for Personal Lines Insurer of the Year

British Insurance Award Winners 2023

Ageas won Personal Lines Insurer of the Year at the British Insurance Awards for the third consecutive year.

We're proud of what our customers say about us...

Our van insurance optional extras

Van Breakdown cover, powered by the RAC logo

Van breakdown cover

Find out more
Icon of a purple gavel

Legal expenses cover

Find out more
Replacement vehicle cover icon

Replacement vehicle cover

Find out more

Frequently asked questions

Van insurance is a legal requirement to drive a van in the UK and is designed to protect you as a policy holder and any relevant third parties financially if something were to happen to your van, according to the terms set in your insurance policy. The only instance where you wouldn't need to insure your van is if you declare it as off-road with a statutory off-road notification (SORN). 

You can choose from three different levels of cover: comprehensive, third party, fire and theft and third party only. Comprehensive cover offers the highest level of protection.

We'll get in touch with you if we need to see proof of your No Claims Discount. If we've already contacted you, you can provide your proof of No Claims Discount by submitting it through our online form or uploading it on your online account. If we ask you for proof of your No Claims Discount, you’ll need to send it to us within 14 days of purchase, otherwise we’ll have to cancel your policy and won’t be able to restart cover for you.

What to do

Go to our No Claims Discount Help page and submit your proof using our online form.

Alternatively, you can log in to your online account and click on the ‘Your documents’ tab in the My Van page. Then click on ‘Add document’, add your No Claims Discount file and click ‘Upload’. Your proof will be automatically sent to us. You will also be able to see your document in the ‘Your Uploaded Documents’ section on the Documents tab.

Once we’ve received your proof we'll then contact you to confirm it is acceptable or let you know if we need any more information.

What we accept

What we’re after as acceptable proof is either a full renewal invitation, a cancellation letter or a Proof of No Claims Discount letter from your previous insurer. Whichever option you go for, you’ll need to include:

  • A letterhead that clearly identifies your previous insurer
  • Your previous policy number
  • Your previous policy expiry date
  • Your name and full address
  • Your No Claims Discount in years

Uploads can be in a variety of formats, including Microsoft Word, PDF or a photo in the following formats: GIF, PNG, JPG, JPEG and JPE. Just make sure your document is less than 3MB.

Personal belongings that are lost or damaged if your van is involved in an accident or fire, or if your vehicle is stolen or broken into, are covered by your van insurance if you purchase comprehensive cover and up to the limits set in your policy.

It's worth bearing in mind that personal belongings cover excludes any belongings that relate to a trade, business or profession, such as tools, stock or office equipment. Personal belongings cover also excludes items that are stolen or damaged while the van was open or unlocked.

Please check your policy documents for any further exclusions to your personal belongings cover.

We want to reassure you that you’re still covered by the terms of your van insurance policy if you’re considering driving your vehicle outside of the UK from 1st January 2021. Please bear in mind that your policy covers you to drive your van in the EU or EEA if you're using your vehicle for Social, Domestic and Pleasure purposes only. 

There are still some matters that have yet to be decided between the EU and UK, including access to the free circulation zone, which means that UK drivers must currently carry a Green Card when travelling outside of the UK (since 1st January 2021).

A Green Card is an International Motor Insurance Certificate which evidences that your current insurance policy provides the necessary minimum level of cover for driving in the EU country you are travelling to or through. While we await further details, it is best to carry your Green Card for all journeys to the EU or EEA. In addition to the basic cover which the Green Card gives you, your insurance policy provides you with full insurance cover for up to 90 days, unless you hold an Ageas Essentials policy. 

You can find more information on our Driving in Europe page.

We want to make renewing insurance easy for our customers, so we don't offer discounted prices to people who call us. The price we've given you is our final price based on your current cover and information we hold.

There could be a few reasons you have an outstanding balance on your account, such as, the full amount could not be collected when your Direct Debit was due, or your policy may have been cancelled.

If you have an outstanding balance notification on your car, home or van account, you can easily make a payment online. Just log in to your online account where you will see an outstanding balance notification. Simply click the ‘Pay outstanding balance’ button and we will guide you through the process.

If you have an outstanding balance notification on your car, home or van online account, you can easily make a payment online. Just log in to your online account where you will see an outstanding balance notification. Simply click the ‘Pay now’ button and we will guide you through the process.

Yes. If you have car, home or van insurance and have an outstanding balance, it’s easy to make a payment online. Simply log in to your online account, click the ‘Pay now’ button and we’ll guide you through the process.

View our policy document


Read our policy booklet to make sure our cover is right for you.

*Providing the accident wasn’t your fault. Make, model and registration of other vehicle needed.

**Excludes vans written off or stolen and unrecovered. 

^^We offer two types of cover, comprehensive and third party, fire and theft. Our comprehensive cover has been rated 5 Star by industry experts Defaqto.

† Ageas are one of the UK’s largest car insurers, we provide insurance to over 4 million customers in the UK to protect their cars, home, travel and business.