Legal expenses cover
SPECIAL OFFER: 12 months Motor Legal Protection for just £5* (normally £29.60).
Shape your cover
Taking legal advice can be expensive. Our Legal expenses optional extra provides up to £100,000 to assist in recovering losses you are not insured for, personal injury and compensation for damaged belongings following a car accident that was not your fault.
- Up to £100,000 cover for you, your passengers and your car if you're in an accident, which was the fault of another insured and identifiable driver
- The cost of a solicitor, legal advice and support settling the claim
- Personal injury cover for you and your passengers following a road traffic accident, which wasn't your fault
- Uninsured loss recovery – damages and recovering costs if you're in an accident that wasn't your fault and the other insured party is at fault, including medical treatment, overnight accommodation and travel costs due to the loss of your car
- Defence of motoring prosecutions – defending a criminal legal action that has arisen from the use of your car
- Motor contract disputes – either pursuing or defending contract disputes, which relate to the sale of goods of services associated with your car, including the car itself
- Vehicle cloning – if your car identity is stolen, you’ll be covered for costs to defend criminal or civil proceedings
- Motor insurance database disputes – costs for disputes following false or incorrect information about you or your car on the motor insurance database are covered
What’s not covered
- Any Claim reported more than 180 days after the incident
- Any Legal costs you pay before the claim is accepted
- There must be more than a 50% chance of winning the case for a claim to be accepted.
Frequently asked questions
Motor legal protection, also known as legal expenses cover, can help protect you from being out of pocket if you have to take legal action following a car accident that wasn’t your fault. It can assist you in recovering losses you aren’t insured for as well as cover personal injuries or compensation for damaged belongings. Legal protection may be included in your comprehensive car insurance, but it’s also likely that your insurer will give you the option to add this to your policy for an additional cost.
Motor legal protection, also known as legal expenses cover, protects you for some additional benefits that would not necessarily be part of your standard car insurance policy. These can include:
- Personal injury cover for you and your passengers
- Costs associated with your claim (for example, the cost of a solicitor or legal advice)
- Medical expenses
- Damage to your vehicle
- Loss or damage to personal belongings
- Vehicle cloning
If you’re thinking of adding legal protection cover to your policy, it’s important that you read your policy documents thoroughly or speak to your insurer to know exactly what you’re covered for.
Motor legal protection does not cover all eventualities. For example, most insurers will not cover you if the car accident was your fault.
You may also not be covered for the following:
- Legal expenses paid before the claim is accepted
- Any costs against you from the court for any criminal offences
- Any claim reported after the cut-off date (check with your insurer)
Legal expenses cover can provide peace of mind that you are covered for additional, unexpected eventualities when on the road.
The cost of legal advice can be huge. But motor legal protection cover can help you minimise the inconvenience and financial impact of legal proceedings after a car insurance accident. It's worth bearing in mind that you need a 50% chance of succeeding in your legal action to be able to claim on your policy.
Benefits of legal expenses cover can include:
- Personal injury protection for you and your passengers
- The cost of a solicitor to defend your claim
- Recovering your motor, legal and personal costs
- Access to a 24/7 legal advice helpline
Although this type of cover is not mandatory, it can help you save a lot of money if you ever find yourself in a court case following a car accident.