At Ageas, our thoughts are with the people of Ukraine, many of whom have had to flee their homes to ensure their safety in the face of the Russian invasion.

We are pleased to be able to support our customers who wish to help those fleeing Ukraine, by taking the steps below:

Using your car to transport goods around the UK

If you are an Ageas motor insurance customer and want to use your private vehicle to transport goods around the UK to aid in the humanitarian crisis unfolding in Ukraine, then we are pleased to support this.

You do not need to inform us and your insurance will not be impacted.

Using your car to transport goods in other parts of Europe

If you’re planning to use your private vehicle to deliver humanitarian aid to other parts of Europe in response to events unfolding in Ukraine, then we are also happy to support this.

Your policy will provide, at minimum, third party liability coverage when driving within the Green Card free circulation zone. This area comprises all 30 European Economic Area (EEA) countries as well as Andorra, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Montenegro, Serbia and Switzerland[1].

Please check your insurance policy documents carefully for limits of coverage and policy exclusions. Also, we encourage you to familiarise yourself with any regulations around the cross-border transport of goods and abide by any travel advice issued by the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office.

Using your commercial vehicle to transport goods in other parts of Europe

If you are an Ageas customer with a commercial vehicle and intend to provide humanitarian aid in response to events unfolding in Ukraine, then we are pleased to support this too.

Customers with commercial vehicles that have comprehensive motor insurance cover in the UK will be granted comprehensive coverage at no additional charge for any cross-border journeys taken for humanitarian reasons within the ‘Free Circulation without Green Card zone for the next three months, until 11th June 2022, at which point it will be reviewed. 

Please do get in touch with us if you require additional coverage or you plan to leave the European Economic Area.

If you have a policy and are planning to undertake cross border journeys and would usually not be covered for these journeys under your existing comprehensive policy, then you will need to inform us of your plans.

Home insurance customers

If you are a homeowner in the UK and want to temporarily house refugees as non-paying guests in your main home, then we are pleased to support this.

You don’t need to tell us if you plan to do this* and we’ll define any refugee that doesn’t pay to live in your home as a family member, rather than a guest or lodger.

We do not consider the Government’s proposed monthly pledge of £350 to support Ukrainian refugees to be payment. If you choose to accept this offer from the Government your cover won’t be affected.

Please ensure that the sum insured on your policy is adequate for the refugees’ contents, including any individual high value items, and take out further cover if required.

If you are housing refugees as paying guests or if you wish to house refugees in a second home or rental property that is insured with us, then please contact us directly for assistance.


Ageas have donated to the DEC Ukraine Humanitarian Appeal and if you would like to join us in supporting this appeal, please go to the RedCross website where you can make a donation. 


*You only need to contact us if:

1) You need to discuss or make any changes to your level of cover.

2) After 12 months, any refugees are still living with you and your policy renewal comes through.