When choosing a name for your pet, the only real limitation is your imagination.
Taking inspiration from lists of the most popular cat and dog names compiled by Rover.com, you could go cute, choosing a name such as Peanut or Bubbles,or you could adopt a more offbeat moniker - something like Beau Dacious, Hashtag or Count Barkula. Just bear in mind that you’ll need to be comfortable calling out for your pet while out in public.
Sometimes, owners are inspired by a book, TV show or film. For example, Harry Potter fans may choose a name like Gryffindor while Star Wars followers may go with something like Artoo Dogtoo.
Celeb names are also an option: Beyoncé, Beckham, Clooney are some of the famous names that have been chosen by dog owners in recent years.
That’s not to say you can’t be more traditional. Firm favourites, according to Rover.com, still include Kitty for a cat and Max for a dog.
Finding the right name for your pet
Finding the right name for your pet can be tricky, especially if you and your partner or other family member can’t agree. If that’s the case, here are some tips to help get you started:
- Don't pick a name that sounds too similar to a command word such as ‘sit’ or ‘heel’. Jo, for example, sounds a lot like ‘no’ and could potentially confuse your pet.
- For the same reason, avoid names that sound similar to the name of another member of the household (whether it’s a person or pet) or other frequently used word.
- If you want a fun name, it may be a good idea to find one that really suits your pet, its breed, personality and appearance. There’s no harm in spending a little time getting to know your new pet before you decide upon a name.
- Get inspired by the most popular names: Bella, Poppy and Alfie were the most popular dogs’ names in 2019, while Molly, Luna and, again, Poppy were the most popular cats’ names.
- Consider how your pet name of choice might get shortened or turned into a nickname.
- Choose a name with a maximum of two syllables, so that it can be easily learned by your pet.
- If you’re set on a celebrity name, remember they may occasionally fall from grace. There are some celebs who were popular in yesteryear, but whose names you probably wouldn’t want to be calling now.
Above all, choosing a name for your pet can be great fun. It’s all part of welcoming them to your family and showing a bit of your own personality too.